Friday, March 28, 2008

For the love of tiny bums



Bum Genius brand is my fav in the world of cloth diapers (at least so far...ask me after a few newborn-breast-milk-blowouts...). I knew that I wanted to try cloth, but since we didn't have a washer/dryer, & I wasn't as brave as my friends, the Cathey's I decided to wait till we had washing in our home before I tried it. I also wasn't as brave as my friend, Stacy & didn't want to do old-school bird's eye & pins with plastic pants. (I would be the mom to pin her kid in the middle-of-the-night feeding marathons.) So, I searched the internet & asked many a "green" mommmy for recommendations. I tried Fuzzi Buns, Mommy's Touch, Haute Bottoms, & Bum Genius. So far, I'd say, FB & BG are the winners. I prefer FB because they seem super soft & absorb so well. The opening for the stuffer is huge & the snappy system was easy. Alas, I also want a one-size approach so that I can put L. in a cloth for napping & use the same cloth for sister. The solution for me was BG. The "one size" system allows kids to wear the diaper from a 8-35 lb. range. You snap the outer snaps down for a tiny & leave them all the way unsnapped for a toddler...in between sizes, you can figure out which snap you need. Plus, there is a simple, velcro tab to close the diaper, much like a disposable. The liner just slides in & wicks moisture away just like a disposable. And again, absorbs well. Pretty simple. When L. pooped in them, I did a vinegar-water rinse in the wash & then a regular wash (no fabric softener or dyer sheets) & all came out pretty well. I also used bio-degradable, flushable liners (to catch poo & toss it into the potty) pre-potty training. So, for the new mommies-to-be with whom I've spoken cloth diapering...there's my opinion. Here's the link to where I shop most. There are plenty more cloth diaper outlets on-line. This one has good sales & I've been happy with even the "clearance" stuff from here. Enjoy!! http://www.nickisdiapers.com/

No comments: