Monday, March 10, 2008

Crafts for baby Zora's room...yes, that's her name.



So, we recently agreed upon Zora Gwendolyn Key as the name of our little girl. I'm pretty excited about it. Zora comes from Zora Neale Hurston, who hung out with Langston Hughes back in the day. :) She was a writer, poet, activist, etc. She wrote Their Eyes Were Watching God, which I love, among many other things. Barclay has a pic of her and brother Hughes that he uses for class. I think it would be neat to have it somewhere in our home, since they are the namesakes of both our little ones.
Gwendolyn is the given name of Dr. Simmons, an awesome prof & great friend of ours in Gainesville. She was a member of SNCC (student non-violent coordinating committee) during the 60's & has continued to be active with such organizations/individuals. She taught a women in religion & society class that I took at UF & she was part of B's committee. Oh, and she hooded him last May. She's been asked and the blessing was given to use her name 3+ years ago when we were pregnant with L-town.
Having said all that, L. and I have been working on some crafts for "sister's" room. Please forgive the lighting. And to answer Mel's question about whether or not I would be sewing for my small one...um, no. Not without my mom or Bonnie Carr nearby. :)

2 comments:

Jessie said...

Love it! I especially love the meaning behind the names.

melanie said...

so impressed. Love the name. Everyone will know her...like DAISY! :) and Langston too. :)