Monday, August 18, 2008

Saving for the Sipahhs

As I have mentioned before, L. does "chores" (putting away his laundry, helping clean toilets, take out his "little trash...") & gets a quarter here & there. He always puts his earnings away in a "train" bank (from Tim & Debbie...thanks!). He also puts away whatever birthday $, or holiday $ he gets & saves it for a "special" thing. So far, he has gotten 1.bubble gum, 2.play-dough, 3.a spiderman baseball cap, 4.pink milk straws. He saw the last item on the list in the grocery one day with Barclay. B. reminded him that was a "special" & he'd have to bring his $ back to get it. So, the next grocery trip, he got a handful of quarters & was ready! At first I thought he was going to be a little short, so I got out my change, but the older guy at the check out was so impressed by L's "earnings" that he said he'd cover whatever it was. ;) L. had enough $ & was "tickled" (as we say down South) with his straws.

3 comments:

Jessie said...

You are the best mom. I need to start something like that for Cal, what a fantastic idea - especially since he's in such a "I'll help you clean up, Mom" mode. It's such good timing for positive reinforcement!

I love what Langston chose to buy. When I was a kid I thought of money in terms of how much candy it would buy at "King's" (a local odd variety store with cheap candy).

Jessie said...

Incidentally, I grew up with my Grandma (who's from Southern Utah, does that count?) saying "tickled" all the time.

Bekki said...

That is sooo funny! Sipahhs! LOL.
Good little system you got there.