Saturday, August 23, 2008

Mop heads & Monkey tails



Barclay sometimes calls Langston a "mop head." Being the 3-year-old that takes all things literally, guess what he did when the spilled some tea a week or so ago? Yep, you guessed it. I wasn't quick enough to stop the instant downward dog followed by the swishing around on the floor *sigh*, but when I said, "Son, what are you doing?," he looked at me with these serious eyes & said, "Dad always says, 'You have a mop head!'" Thanks, dad.
Also, recently when Z. was crying L. told me that she might have an "industry." Sometimes babies get "industries" according to him. (Industry=injury, for those unskilled in toddlerese.) He also still says, "they're" instead of "they," as in "They're said we're all going to Bonkers." ;)
**And here's a good one. So, if you read post "Thing 1 & thing 2," you know that all L.'s toys were in time out a few nights ago. Well, he was busy w. a tissue box, a stool that he uses to climb into bed, & that plastic piece (monkey tail). He came into the living room, where B. & I were talking, sat on that stool, crossed his legs (ankle over knee), & proceeded to smoke the monkey tail. (!?) I whispered, "I think he's smoking something." So B. asked, "Son, what are you doing?" (he gets that question a lot!) He answered, "Just smoking." We asked where he had seen someone smoking (we don't even have a t.v.!). He says, "In Alabama." Okey dokey. We then had a health lesson on how it isn't good for one's body to smoke, blah, blah. He stopped. For now. I'm guessing that we might have to revisit that lesson quite a few times over the next decade or so. That's okay. We'll offer the same wisdom as a few nights ago. And hope that he doesn't smoke more than monkey tail in the future.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Isn't it amazing how they just sponge-up everything!! I love it that L keeps giving you such fun blog post titles, too. Our kids are so good at pointing out those things that we do, or that others do, in your case, that we may gloss-over but may need to re-examine.

Aurelia has learned to use the remote control. She points it at the tv with both hands and starts pushing buttons. Maybe we need to watch the tube a little less (although it is mostly on when she is in bed).

The Penter Family said...

I wonder where he learned about smoking? It is crazy how much they notice that you wouldn't expect them to!

Bekki said...

OH-MY-GOODNESS!!! Ahahaha!! LOVE it! Learned about smoking from the great state of Alabama. That is so hilarious.
Cute stories - I love to hear the silly things kids say!

Jessie said...

I love the mop-head thing - so funny.
It's crazy sometimes what kids remember. Calvin has just started noticing all the different kinds of cars, and thus we now hear: "That's a Toyota!" or "That's a Honda, I saw the 'H'!" or "That's a convertible". The other day he said to me: "I have a Toyota. It's a Toyota 4runner". What? How did he even know that?
I love L.'s stories. I miss that face!