Monday, October 12, 2009

thankful (in Polish)

actually, here are a few things I'm thankful for in Poland...not Polish...otherwise y'all would be like me reading a menu here & entirely lost. :) I've learned a few basics, but this language is tough!
In no particular order...
1.My new girlfriend, Leanne. Or Auntie Leanne, as she should be dubbed. She's teaching English & Lit here at the same university & lives in the same dorm, only one floor away from us. We have many common interests (English degree, sense of humor, disliking the half-eaten sausage in our common 'fridge). And she not only puts up with, but plays with my kids. They adore her. As do I. :)
2.My new clothes washer. They don't do the dryer thing here (WHY?!), but they only had one functioning washer for two whole DORMS of people...& it was "first come, first serve." I have spent days of my life waiting to wash one load of laundry. I thought I was going crazy. My husband must've noticed my lack of sanity bc he didn't put up a fight about shelling out the $333 for the washer.
3.The close-by Protestant-Methodist-some English speaking church. We've only just found this place, but it seems promising. There was a neat mix of old & new of everything from worship style to songs to people & a nice girl translated for us (when I wasn't breastfeeding/rocking Zora to sleep in the kitchen or taking L. to play with the kids). They even have an English service once a month which we have been asked to help with (of course I said YES!).
4.Reading again. I haven't been motivated to exercise yet (all the walking & pushing the giant, kid-filled stroller has been enough, but I do miss Yoga & Pilates...okay & dance), but I have been reading like mad. I am almost finished with Dreams from my Father by our current Prez & have just started reading Eat, Pray, Love, which is making me mark pages on meditation & Yoga with a gnawing desire to attempt more than the one leg with which I am familiar. Anybody out there read either of these? I'd recommend them both.
5.That the kids (& all of us) have been well. Zora is fighting off a croupy cough. She coughed as she woke up for 2 days in a row, with no other cold symptoms, but this morning she's been hacking & sneezing. I went ahead & gave her 2 breathing treatments & nursed her a lot & put her down for an early nap. She seems to be feeling fine, though. No fever & as happy as usual. Again, she licks & eats everything in Poland, so for this to be the first sign of sickness is amazing & I am thankful. (Langston did tell me that if her cough gets worse, we should take her to Dr. Lin, our Ped in Macomb. :)
6.Kid comments. Sometimes they keep me going. Peter Cole, I hope you read this bc I thought of you when L said it...
We were discussing something about an old sharp object (knife, sword...?) & Barclay told Langston that it was sometimes used for hunting food. Sweet Langston replies, "Like mushrooms?" Yes, my darling vegan-thinking boy. They should hunt mushrooms.

3 comments:

Dave Gray said...

Sonya Check your email

Jesse said...

Loving the updates. Glad things are looking up for you! Turkey was the same way with the no dryer thing. We learned the art of that fold out drying rack pretty quick. I read Dreams from my Father. Like it a lot, especially picturing his time in Kenya! Miss you all lots. Whenever O thinks of L she says, "Oh yeah, he's in Poland." sniff, sniff. B is walking!! Watch out Z he's going to give you a run for your money!!
Miss you lots. Oh wait, I said that already. Must be true!

Bekki said...

I hope it continues to get easier, friend.
xo