Tuesday, October 27, 2009

smarty pants does the dishes



So...as Barclay explained in his last post, our "dish situation" ain't pretty. We wash 'em in a small sink b't th shower & toilet area (I"ll try to post a pic) & then take them (dripping, but we lay down a towel to drip on) to the dish drainer that sits atop the mini fridge in the room we've assigned "eating area." Anyway, it's a drippy, time consuming process. One afternoon, my boy complained of my damp floor that "sometimes gets his socks wet." He was protesting this wet floor thing; blaming me. He ended his whine with, "do you understand me?" (keep it dry while doing all our dishes, mom.) I told him that I didn't appreciate his smart attitude & he had no clue how much effort went into doing all our stupid dishes (we eat most every meal at home; I cook about twice a day; sandwiches at lunch usually). So, his "learning experience" that night was to do ALL the dishes for the day. Barclay thought I was a little hard on him. (I don't care if I was!) But by the time he finished all the dishes, he was ready to apologize. And he should've been. My plan is to help these babies of mine realize that the world doesn't owe them anything. That and to show respect, but take no crap, treat all people as they want to be treated, appreciate their parents, love their famiy, follow Jesus' example of radical love & action...and a lot more. If L. thinks dishwashing was a tough lesson...just wait. Mama's got lots more.

5 comments:

Bekki said...

I think it was totally fair! Great job momma!
(Reminds me of my dad's punishments. I will forever hate APR/NPR - lol)

mom said...

You go girl!!
Tell 'um how you feel.
Love you, Mom

The 6 W's said...

haha! Perfect lesson!! : )

Jessie said...

Ha ha ha ha. Oh, man, that's funny. I agree, make the kid wash the dishes himself!! He's so darn cute in that video.

And a big old EEEWWW for your dish situation. That would freak me out. And here I get grossed out if Louie puts the sponge on the "clean side" of the sink!

Thanks for reminding me how good I have it (and how good you'll have it in a few months).

Unknown said...

I love it! I wish more mommas taught this way!