Saturday, December 20, 2008

ice, ice, baby....

We have no p'wr, folks. The lovely invention of electricity left us around 6something a.m. yesterday, due to some icey tree branches & downed wires. (actually it blinked off & on during the night, which woke me up several times...so, i woke B. up one of those times...he is still making fun of me for waking him.)
Any-who, we are staying with our friends, the Grahams, for a few days (?) 'til all repairs are made. The yucky part of all this is that we are suppose to be leaving for AL early Mon. morning (early train to Chicago, then flying to D.C. & on to the Rocket City). I am not looking forward to doing laundry elsewhere & possibly packing in the cold (when b. went back home to look for some things this morning, it was 46 in our house!).
We actually stayed home yesterday while B. went to the office to turn in grades & finish up some end of the semester stuff. I bundled both kids & put them down for nap (I knew L. would be too excited to sleep at Zach & Andrew's house :). I stayed awake & read (with quilts around me) until my hands hurt so badly that I called B. & told him to come get us & take us to warmth! I think it was 54 or so, in the house, when we finally left.
So, if we make it down to Alabama (prayers, please), I will not want to leave! Give me humidity, sweet tea, football as religion, accents, & palms with pines any day. I'll take the South, please...y'all. :)

3 comments:

Singlemomma said...

Can I go with ya'll? We were sitting without power until tonight. My aunt called to tell me it was 70 degrees down there. Geee, Thanks!

Bekki said...

Poor you! Snow/ice/cold weather is hard for us southern women.
I second the "give me the south, please".
(my little southern family is here right now - we are having a grand time. XO)

Jessie said...

No electricity? Oh, man, I hope you're nice and toasty by now. I'm also telling Louie: "Hey, next time we move, let's go somewhere where the winters never get below 40 degrees". We were thinking the Northwest might be fun, then they got slammed with some crazy snowstorms. Hmmm. Maybe we'll try out your beloved Gainesville. Sounds great right now.