Monday, December 15, 2008

Brrrr....snow.



It's funny how we Southerners--Barclay & I--used to get excited about the snow. Now I think, "Ack! Snow. Messy floors, lots of clothes (=lots of mopping & laundry)." I'm happy that the kiddies like it. :) (Well, Langston likes it. This was Zora's first real snow. She was curious, but not very mobile.) These are from a week or two ago when it was snowy, but still "warm" (20-30s). At this moment it's icey + snowy & feels like 10-15 below. Not play-able.

While I'm posting on this topic, I would like to say that kids in IL play outside unless it's below 22 degrees. (Yea, all you in FL & AL are shivering, right?) I was the crazy mom who thought they would certainly be running around the gym on those chilly days, but then I picked L. up at preschool (he goes 2 mornings a week) & he said that he "cried...kind-of whined a little" at school. I asked why & he said that he was COLD! I got the whole story & found out that he had borrowed some school mittens, but the his jacket wasn't warm enough! (Of course I had been sending him in a lined denim jacket & long sleeve tee & undershirt with jeans or khakis...for the classroom.) I felt horrible! My poor baby had been playing out in the cold! Anyway, I immediately went to our local kid's consignment shop (where I trade things all the time...I've only actually used cash twice in the past 6-8 months) & picked up 2 snowsuits (1 for home, 1 for school). Now he has 2 warm coats, snowsuits, mittens, hats...like he needs those with all that hair! Anyway, he's set. I apologized to the teachers. I felt like a mom that the other moms talk about for not taking care of her kids. :( **Sidenote: babies in the "infant room" at L's school go out to "play" unless it's less than 32 degrees (!) I can tell you that Z. didn't do much in the snow, so that seems wierd, too.

4 comments:

The Penter Family said...

snow! i haven't seen that in years!

by the way...LOVE your new background...

Jessie said...

Oh man, I still need to call you back! I just remembered, sorry.

As a girl who grew up in "the greatest snow on Earth" (Utah's motto), can I just say...I hate snow.
I mean, it's beautiful, and fun to play in, but it makes me a nervous wreck to drive in. Mostly I'm nervous about other drivers. Anyway, I really shouldn't complain since the temps here usually hang around in the 30s all winter (some higher some lower, but not too bad). Those mid-westerners are hard core.

Bekki said...

Snow. Ack! I am experiencing it for the first time - I hate trying to get up/down my driveway.
I hope you enjoy it as much as possible. I am trying!

Nina Long said...

I don't go outside if its 50 degrees!! *haha*! Im terrible! Jake got to play in the snow last week and he loved it!!