Thursday, December 4, 2008

4 years ago today...

Four years ago today, at 2:44 p.m., with the Gators playing basketball in the background, I met a guy who would change my life--and my person--forever. Langston Hadley Key was born in Gainesville, FL on Dec. 4th, 2004 to a still-newlywed (we got pregnant on our first anniversary) mom & dad. We were clueless, nervous, scared, happy, exhausted, very poor, and above all...very much in love with that little guy.
L., as he would soon be nicknamed, didn't sleep very well that first night. In fact, he gave us one of the many hundreds of sleepless nights to come. The boy has always been bright--super bright. I can only hope that his brian power is the reason sleep doesn't come easy for him. (They say, all those experts, that some "gifted" children never sleep well...I suppose all worn out parents hope for an explaination to their caffine dependancy. Intelligence is our cop on as to why L-town smarty-pants doesn't find sleep easily.)
Extra smart or not, Langston has always brought some "gift" to our lives. He is quick-whitted, funny, charming, thoughtful, creative, studious, dilligant, gentle, loving, sensitive, & independant. He is a great combo of his daddy and me. We enjoy him more and more all the time.
Having Langston in my life taught me to love. I learned how selfish & petty I could be. I understood more of the heart of God. Selfless love is parenting. (Aren't we all thankful for a Heavenly Parent who loves us as we should love our small ones?)
My hope for my baby boy is that he continues to grow to love God & people, to relate, care, understand as much as possible, & to do his best to make the world better when he leaves than before he came. I have hope that he can do it. I think that to some extent he has. I know that this mom feels overflowing joy because of that little brown-eyed boy. I am a better person having known him. Happy Birthday, sweet pea! I love you from head to toe!

5 comments:

Whitney said...

What a sweet sweet post! Happy 4th birthday to your little guy. It just flys by, doesn't it?

Amy and the Boys said...

so sweet, sonya. you have me tearing up :) hope L and the rest of you had a great day!
-Amy

Nina Long said...

ok Im crying!! That was so sweet and you looked AWESOME to just have had a baby!! I am jealous! I looked like a monster when I had both of mine!!

Jessie said...

Aw, I love that. So, so sweet.
I'll agree with you on the sleep/smarts thing, and I'll feel better too. He's a beautiful kid, and you do a splendid job with him. He's lucky to have you. Happy birthday, L.!

Hey - we got pregnant just after our first anniversary! Hmmm, maybe that's part of the recipe for smarty-pants kids.

Bekki said...

I opened the pantry today and eyed the calendar and thought "Oh - Little L had his birthday!" I can't believe it has been 4 years!! You looked absolutely beautiful on his birth day. XO