Friday, April 18, 2008

My baby girl is here!




Baby Zora arrived Wed. the 16th around 3:13 pm. She was 7 lb. 14 oz. & 20 1/2" long. She beat out big bro. on the size by only a few oz. & less than an inch. :) She arrived into the world via an all natural birth (holy moley, guys, it was a tough time). I did have Tylenol & something else eventually, but not much on the whole.
And now, her "birth story"...
I was scheduled for a potential "water breaking" on Friday (although I was still having a difficult time with "picking her b'day"...I wanted her to do it). So, my parents & Spencer came in from AL on Tues. night...around 10:30. We let L. stay up & play till he passed out from family fun. :) That evening, I was feeling really crampy & lots of pressure, but not any "contractions" as I had experienced them with L. I didn't sleep much at all (b't pain & potty). At around 4 a.m., I started having a few contractions here & there. Around 5:30 I had a few 8 min. apart, so I called my OB & asked when I should go in. He said whenever I wanted, since I was strep B negative & had done most all of this by myself before. So, I did what I did 3 years & 4 months ago with L & woke my hubby up, ate b'fast, got a shower, & mentally prepared for a big day. ;) I told my mom what was up & she got in the bed with L. so that he'd have someone there when he woke up. Barclay & I arrived at the hospital & I could tell that the ladies at the desk didn't believe me when I told them I was in labor. (Seriously, gals, I've done this before.) They checked me twice (fun times) & I was a 5-6, but my contractions weren't regular, so they still wanted to send me home...until my wonderful midwife called & said that she was coming in & to keep me. Sharie, my midwife, came in around 8:30 & broke my water (clear). I called Tammy, my doula, & told her I still felt fine, but whenever she had time, she could come in. Barclay went to get my mom & Tammy came in a little later. Then Barclay left & he, dad, Spence, & L-town had a morning of boy fun. (Park, pet store, comic book store, lunch.) We actually had a morning of "girl fun," too. We talked & laughed. My contractions came & went, but weren't too bad. Then, around 1:30 p.m., the real deal began. (I called Barclay & told him I thought he should come back soon around 12:30, so he was already there.) I was dilated to about an 8, which is when I got an epidural with L, so I had never felt the pain from 8-10. Let me tell y'all...for me, it was a night & day difference. I only opened my eyes twice from about 1:30/1:45 till the pushing part of baby story. Tammy was wonderful...Sharie was great. My mom cried & was very supportive. Barclay was super & supportive (like last time), but he let the wisdom of Tammy & Sharie rule. Overall, I had a great team. Carolyn, the nurse, was a little bossy...& towards the end I had three sets of directions yelled at me...which was a little frustrating in the moment...BUT! It was a good group to help me. The pushing part was a little bit of a painful blur. I pushed probably a little bit before I should've, but I was at the "get her out of me" point. Sharie made me breathe through two more contractions before I pushed again, but on push #3, little Zora made her grand entrance. She was out so quickly that she had a little "blueberry face," but her body was pink & her APGAR was a 9. She cried, screamed, & (only a few minutes later) nursed like a champ. :) I will say that I don't think all natural is for all women. Embracing pain isn't for everyone, but I would encourage more women to think about a more natural labor. It is a neat experience & you get the "ultimate prize" at the end. Maybe sometime I'll blog about the chemicals released during a natural labor, health care, midwives vs. o.b.s, etc. The film The Business of Being Born is a great one to watch on this subject. As usual, I encourage those thinking about becoming a mommy to educate themselves before making their decisions. There are many options out there...don't just take what the medical giants tell you as the end all. A C-section is a major surgery...although sometimes needed. And ladies, no one is "too posh to push," as the trend might tell you. Having a baby is a natural process, so don't buy into the theory that it's a medical procedure. There's my sermon for today. ;) Now I'm gone to eat with my family...and enjoy my new love!

10 comments:

Bekki said...

She is absolutely perfect. She does look a little like L. I cannot wait to meet her. I am SO glad that you had a mini Sonya. I have wanted this for a long time. :o)
Give little Zora toot toot kisses from her Aunt Bekki. L, too!
I love you and I am so proud of you.
xoxo

Anonymous said...

Congratulation !!!

Jackson said...

YEAH... We are so excited to see Baby Zora. She's BEAUTIFUL!

I love the birth story... "too posh to push" is fabulous, hadn't heard that one yet.

I LOVED The Business of Being Born - so true, educate yourself. I wish more people did in all realms of life.

Anyway, I can't wait to meet her. You look radiant, as you always do. Being a Mommy looks so good on you.

We love & miss you all! Congratulations Key Family.
Love,
Jerrod, Kate & Jackson

justneal and tara said...

Congratulations, Sonya! Zora is absolutely precious, and a perfect addition to your wonderful family. I also appreciate the advice both you and Kate give about trying to lead a more natural life. I fully believe that it's all about education and then deciding what's best for your little one and your family.

We hope to see you soon! Love you. ~Tara, Neal and "munchkin"

Jessie said...

Hooray! Congrats, CONGRATS! She's gorgeous, just like I knew she'd be, and hey, my latest prediction was pretty on target, eh?

Good job on the labor. I thought going natural was NUTS as I was doing it, and kept shaking my head for days afterwards wondering why women would ever go through it over and over. But now that I've got 17 months behind me, I'd do it again next time for sure. The recovery was great, and the baby so happy and healthy and ready to nurse.

I am SOOO happy for you guys. We all send our love to your family and little Zora especially! So far she looks a bit like Momma, but it's hard to tell when they're so tiny.

YAY! All our love, J L C M

Unknown said...

Congrats, Sonya!! I know about that natural birth..WOO! You never forget it.
I am so proud of you and miss you terribly!

Anonymous said...

You are such a trooper and your family is beautiful!!

The Penter Family said...

She is precious. I'm proud of you with the natural labor. Don't know if I am that strong :)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!! She is beautiful!! I can't image natural labor; you are a real hero.

I'm so excited for your new adventure! Best of luck to you, Barclay and Langston :)

Love,
Amanda, Craig, and Anabelle

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Sonya, I enjoyed reading your birth story. Wished I would have taken a more assertive approach and not just let my doc tell me what to do. He induced me at 38 weeks for no real reason (very slight elevation in blood pressure, but nothing serious b/c it was normal by the time I got to the hospital), I didn't dialate past 4 cm, and ended having a C-section. Needless to say, Noah wasn't ready to be born and they had a difficult time getting him out b/c he hadn't dropped yet. On top of that, his lungs weren't developed. He was immediately sent to Huntsville Hosp. and was in the NICU for 15 days and was listed as "failure to thrive" for about the first month or so. I've learned my lesson, God designed this whole process so it's better to let nature take it's course. I will definitely have more input with my next go-around!

Congrat's to you all!
Whitney