Saturday, September 19, 2009

my little polish sausage

So, last nite, as I was nursing Z down, I noticed that she smelled funny...like sausage. [insert polish joke here] Well, so far, so frustrating. I think if this trip doesn't cause us to break up, it will certainly pull us closer together. B & I have had a time so far...kids, dorms, attempting to find a pedestrian crossing near our dorm so that we can walk the many blocks to the dining area where all the meals are served (just for this week or two). This orientation thing is NOT for families, despite what they tried to act like.
I have really enjoyed meeting the other Fulbrighters. Most all of them are interesting folk. But our struggle to do simple things like board the elevator (gaps that little fingers could get caught in/very small space with extra door which is tough to hold door + push stroller...), wash laundry (in basement, "dryer" which doesn't dry, must get coins one at a time from lobby, key to wash room...), eat a meal that is pre-paid (see above about crosswalks), sleep with a kid nearby (dorm = tiny "cot" thing that barely fits one & is UNcomfy & metal, so we haven't moved one into the other room thru the bath to create a big "cot"...which would be an answer to them not rolling off, but still UNcomfy). And more. Ah, more. B. is frustrated with me for being so frustrated, but I feel like I"m stuck here in this crazy situation with very little to easily do (yes, I could walk far distances & find random things to do with both kids, but it's tough & I really don't feel ready to do big things by myself yet. (Although I did buy each of us cheap cells with "orange" cards so that we may stay in touch with each other here in Poland--sorry parents, I don't know when we'll get to talk to you...probably about another week or so.)
So, I'm having a tough time trying to be a happy camper about everything. I really want to scream & cry. (& leave...good grief, what would I give to be back home or in AL?!)
I know that it'll get better (like as soon as we find a freakin' hotel here or head out). But I also think that our lack of sleep & struggle to grab a familiar bite to eat (one that the kids will eat, too) has made a huge difference in our not getting along & being so upset. I am ready to get where we will be for the next 5 months & get settled & adjusted & familiar with the city (it has a mall! yea! great for free kid entertainment during the cold months).
So, all you followers out there in blogland...say a little prayer for my fam & me. We need lots of love & a nice place to lay our heads.

11 comments:

Mom said...

Sis, Hang in there- you have always loved an adventure:( This is the big one! I suggest you buy a mattress topper for those "beds" Also, Dad and I need a snail mail address for you guys bc someone has a birthday fast approaching!
Please tell us when you get skype set up.
Love you guys!!!
Mom & Dad

mom said...

Sonya, If you got two or three messenges from me --I'm sorry:(
If you didn't get any-- let me know!
Love you guys,
Mom

joann said...

Hang in there Sonya....I know you can do it...we'll be praying and hopefully your family life will settle down (in the right place) and you and Barkley can enjoy each other and your two wonderful children. I cannot even imagine trying to do what you are doing with small ones...I had trouble adjusting to life in Peru for a couple of weeks... and I only had to worrry about Robert....Love to all - JoAnn

The 6 W's said...

I know the frustration you're going through. It's hard adjusting to a new country/culture but I PROMISE when it's time to leave, you'll be crying and wanting to stay!! Keep your head up and try to meet a couple of Polish friends (go outside your comfort) and you'll have an AMAZING experience! Good luck!

melanie said...

Sonya...i can't stand to read that. It will get better. how do I know that? cause you are Mary Poppins mom...and you will make it better. ;) I will be praying.

mel

The Penter Family said...

I'm sorry you are having such a rough time. It sounds like it is pretty hard. I'll make sure I pray for you... Hopefully things will get better soon.

Brian, Glenda, Oliver & Madelyn said...

Sonya, Brian totally understands. He remembers the food and loosing weight and having to carry his laundry to the "pannis" who helped him do his laundry. Brian suggest you visit the city of Krakow if you get a chance (much better than Warsaw). And don't worry someday this will all be in the past.

alison said...

You can do it Sonya! I will pray for you during orientation, and you will find some things to keep you company in your permanent place. Things are harder outside of the US, but that doesn't make them less worthwhile. You will come to love some things about Poland, and then right when you've discovered that, you'll be on a plane on your way back. At least that is my experience. Saw Matt and Debbie today and missed you!

Joanna said...

Give it time.....it will get better. We miss you lots!

Jo

Jesse said...

Praying right now. I feel your pain. May you know that "peace that passes all understanding" in a very real way. Miss you. I know it sounds trite but things will get better-smattered with tough times but they will get better!

Jessie said...

Oh, Sonya. That makes me so sad. I'm sorry. I'd be going NUTSO too, if I were you! I can NOT imagine dealing with all that stuff with little ones who just want to eat their normal comfort foods and go to bed in their normal environments.
Time will help. I sure hope things settle down soon. I'll be praying for you guys. Hang in there, my good friend, and remember...someday you'll be looking back on this (whether fondly or not), and be glad you did such a crazy, character-building thing.

Much love!