Wednesday, June 3, 2009

an ode to my hair (via pix)


Last year in April...letting it grow.

This year in late May...


New do. Still a little wavy, but this too shall grow out. :)

Langston's 1st b'day (2005)
Langston's 1st Halloween
funny hats
B's graduation (PHinally Done)
Halloween in Ames (2006)
Family photo in Ames (B. as a caveman)
Goodbye to Gainesville Par-tay

I've never been a "long hair" gal. I've tried. Since I've been married, I've tried to grow it out for my hubby, but usually after 2 years of growth, I chop it off again. This morning I woke up with Lyle Lovette hair. Yikes! You see, I tried not to chop it, so I got a perm in Feb-ish thinking..."if it's curly, I won't want to chop it..." Alas, all those curly pony tails drove me crazy. I didn't have time to "fix" it, so it went up...every day. Yuck. So last week I got it cut...about 7ish inches of it! I don't love it yet bc it still has some wave from that perm, but I imagine I'll be smitten by fall. :) I like the "wash it & go" mentality of it. Plus, I've always wanted to go pixie, but wasn't brave enough 'til post kids. Pregnancy & mommyhood have worked wonders for my self image. I'm sure it isn't that way for everyone, but it certainly helped me become more comfortable in my own skin.

Please click on the above links to see a few examples of my many do-s...or don'ts. I really need to get some pix from teen-hood...all the colors of hair I tried! Ah, and childhood...the tall, puffy bangs...not to mention pageant hair or dance rectial hair...

I think short hair complements my assets...which after breastfeeding are my arms & shoulders...not my boobs! :)

6 comments:

Jessie said...

You have a great face, so any do will do, but I like the short pixie on you. Way cute.
And nice muscles!

Sarah said...

Ha. I love your assets! I remember one of B's posts a long time ago musing about why you lock the doors while he is away...

I also totally agree about the body image post-baby thing. I've always struggled with being hyper-critical, and still do, but having a baby has made a huge difference in my priorities and what really matters to me. That doesn't mean that I don't want to go to the gym more than the mostly-never that I manage right now...

Bekki said...

You and your ever changing hair! Dude - I could send a few pics your way!! I am sure I have at least 10 different styles in the last 2 years of h.s.! LOL

Amy and the Boys said...

wow, sonya, you look AMAZING! I gotcha on the boob thing. My cousin describes it as a tube sock with a ball in it...that makes me sad. BTW, short hair suits you. You most definitely can pull it off

melanie said...

sonya, I always love your hair. Your face (and other assests ;)) are ADORABLE helping you pull off any do. I on the other hand...cant do much with this "mac tonight (old mcdonalds moonface character from the 80's) face. You are blessed. :)

btw...I recognized most of those pics! I think I took several! :)

and you are super mom...I am intimidated by you and Rachel Wagner and you "daily and weekly plans." Maybe I will print yours out and follow it. My poor kids...

mel

Jess Rehearsal said...

I know what you mean about getting the urge to chop off your hair. I have tried to grow mine several times, but usually cut it off. Right now, my hair is the longest it's been in years and I am considering getting it cut. I just wear it up a lot. Or it just hangs there, not looking very cute. You have a beautiful face that is well suited for a variety of cuts and styles, I imagine.