Wednesday, May 20, 2009

latching on & honesty in parenting


I just spent a few hours with a friend who makes me feel okay with doing the mommy thing the way I do it. Thanks, Christine! I'm glad to spend time with someone who doesn't balk at my boob popping out every little while to feed Zora, or cloth diapers, organic hand sanitizers, the attempt at an organized arts & crafts area, teaching kids more at home than they'll learn at school, or any of the other crazy things I strive for in this sweet & exhausting job called Motherhood. It's not for wimps, as the fridge magnet says. :) Once C. and I talked about how many years we have been "pregnant or nursing" I can't remember hers (after 4 kids & extended nursing!), but it was lots. My record is almost 5 years & counting. I don't plan on weaning anytime soon. (Unless Zora decides to, which I doubt...we still nurse around 6 times in a 24 hour period.)

While we're on the topic of the crazy way I parent...a few nights ago I got both kids out of the tub, dressed Zora & put her down to crawl around while I got dressed. She went right into L.'s room. He still wasn't dressed & when she (apparently, I was in another room, but listening) reached out to grab the strange thing dangling from his front, I heard him say, "No, no, Za-wah. That's my penis. It's pwrivate. You have a va-gina. Vaaa-giiiina. It's for girls. Boys have penis. (Then I walk in to catch this part of the science class) You have two holes! I have one! Two holes! Two holes!" (Yes, if you don't want your 4-year-old to learn about "babies," please don't introduce them to mine.) He knows about the "baby hole" and is willing to give the complete run-down. Ask the right questions & he'll explain all about Santa not existing. (Sorry again, Joanna!) And the Easter Bunny. He's chosen B. as his "Tooth Fairy". And he thinks through things pretty well, so I did answer honestly yesterday when he asked me did I think there was life on other planets...if there isn't, then it's an awful waste of space. (Que X-files theme, please.)
These pix are from Mother's day. We did a hike & picnic. L. got to touch a fish (that some man just caught & threw back), we let the kids play on a small playground, & saw some cute baby geese. It was super! Thanks for letting us borrow the back pack for Z., Dilger-Easterlings!

2 comments:

Jessie said...

Ah, Sonya. These are some of the reasons I love you. And, for the most part, agree with you...and let's not forget, miss you.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I am one of those who thinks you are alittle "off your rocker" between the boob thing and the organic cleaners--just try living with her for 3 days when an ice storm hits! Did you tell everyone how you manage to sit right next to me (although there are plenty of other seats) and whip out "the boob"? Sometimes, I think you do it on purpose.......

Although you are nuts, I think you are a good mommy and a good friend. And yes, I guess I love you (but please don't hug me). You are from the South............what else should I expect?