Thursday, August 5, 2010

BEing

Today when I was reading to the kiddos before nap Langston hit me in the eye.  We were being silly and he didn't mean to, but I said (in a serious tone), "Langston!  That hurt mommy."
He immediately started crying and said, "Sorry," in this meek little voice. 
I hugged him and told him it was okay.  I knew he didn't mean to; just try to be more careful.
Then it hit me how wonderful it is to have a kid (or kids, as I do) who feel comfortable enough to open up and cry when they think they might have hurt me.  I love to see how honest and real and raw the emotions of children are.  They are so beautiful! 
I am thankful that these little people can really tell and/or show me how they are feeling.  I relate such purity w God.  God, to me, (or being w God or relating to God...) is that place where one can just BE.  Be completely whatever you need to be...hurting or angry or joyful or even self pitying.  Not judging or being judged, but just bringing it all and laying it out there.  I think that's one of the many ways we, as adults, are told to "be like children" and also where we miss the big picture. 
What if we expressed what we felt or allowed ourselves to feel more often?  I can't help but think we'd all be a little better off.  I'm not saying "fly off the handle," but I am saying that if someone hurt you, tell them.  If someone made you so happy or brings you peace, tell them.  And if you might have hurt someone...no matter how meekly it comes out, say "sorry." 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like this post. As a mother with a child who "looks different" (according to society's standards), I have learned to "make people accountable" for their words. I have heard people comment on my son, stare at him for a longer period of time than normal and wait until he is away from them before they say something about his skin and hair.

I can't count how many times I have gone up to someone and "made them accountable" for their words. They are thrown off and confused because someone is actually questioning their behavior and their words right to their face. They think they can say something behind someone's back and no harm is done. I think that is what kids do (at least mine)--they make us accountable for our words and actions. When they question our decisions and ask "Why not?", they are not being disrespectful, they really want to know "why not". They make us accountable.

Not sure if I am making sense, but I understand your post. We should all be more accountable of our words--good and bad.

J.

Jessie said...

Good thoughts, my friend. I need to heed them.

Look at Langston! He's a little dude. Man, he looks old.

Lindy said...

wonderful post, definitely something i need to remember. can't believe how big the kids are getting, they are just beautiful!!!