Friday, May 21, 2010

Cuts, budget, and a raise? (oh my.)

As a few of you know, we've just missed our profs being laid-off where B. works. Instead they aren't getting the raises they were supposed to get under their old contract. In w the new (to save jobs, cut costs...), out w the old (raises yearly). We did pretty well, considering IL's university are just plain running out (or have run out) of money. Lots of other states are feeling pinched, too. So we're all in this mess together; budgeting, readjusting our plans for the future...and then...

This story (about tuition going higher, while a someone makes the "big bucks") makes me want to yell at someone...lots of someones.
Could those "someones" put themselves in the the rest of our shoes? And who in the WORLD needs over $600, 000 to survive?
**sidenote--This is the reason I can't...1.watch pro sports w out thinking about how much these folks are being paid...and how it makes me sick. 2.truly dig any "celebrity" (unless...*maybe* unless...I also see them GIVE, GIVE, GIVE) 3. trust those folks who are "rolling in it" and make decisions for those of us who are making ends meet.**

and I step down from the soapbox. before it breaks. 'cause we can't afford to get a new one...maybe I'll phone that dude w the $620,000 coming...maybe he's got an extra.

2 comments:

The Penter Family said...

Hang in there. The economy is killing everybody. We have been at 80% salary for a year and a half now. The partners decided to cut salaries instead of laying people off. We went back up 90% a few weeks ago, but the firm dropped it back down to 80% again after TWO weeks. It definitely has not been fun, but we have everything we need thanks to GOD who provides and we have learned a lot about budgeting. If it makes you feel any better... y'all aren't the only ones going through it. Most of America feels the effects of this "Great Recession" right now!

Jessie said...

Ouch.
Louie's made it through 4 layoffs in the past 2 years, and it's gut-wrenching.

Have we ever talked about this before? Because I've long been disgusted with pro-athletes and celebrities. No one should make that much money. It's just ridiculous! I can't stand "entertainment value" for the money, AND I think it's completely unhealthy to give people celebrity status. No one can handle that and be OK. Look at Britney and Lindsay. Our society has done that to them. Not OK. I could go on, but I think you get the idea.

You'll definitely be needing that new soap-box, seeing as I just stepped on it with you.