Thursday, April 1, 2010

carpal tunnel from breastfeeding?


Yes, you did read the title correctly. My dr. in Springfield suggested that my carpal tunnel might be related to my pregnancy-breastfeeding for the past six-ish years (I've been either pregnant or bf since March 2oo4). I also have a ganglion cyst on my wrist, which makes some yoga, pilates & working out things uncomfortable, but also might or might not be pressing on that painful carpal tunnel.
So, I have some thoughts on the way dr. and I discussed this issue yesterday...
Him: "Well, you know that he (bf baby) is almost two. It might be time to wean."
Me: "Well, SHE is almost two. And HE was a little over two and a half when we weaned, so the time will come, probably sooner rather than later."
Him: "Don't tell me you're one of those folks who is going to bf 'til the kid is 5-6 years old." [insert high eyebrows & generally "the look"]
Me: "Well, I don't plan to. I am hoping to go back to school soon, so I was thinking we'd wean this fall or winter. But, I enjoy extended bf and I know it's the best thing for us. In fact, I think that eventually the recommendation will be to bf as long as possible into toddler-hood, maybe two or three instead of just one. It seems like the more we know about it, the better we know it is."
Him: "Oh, well, I agree. I applaud you for doing it for so long. We...er, my wife...I have man-boobs now, but they didn't help us then!...struggled to make it to a year. My sister struggled to six months. Yes, it is best."
We continued to talk about bracing my arms/wrists, esp. at night & which meds I could take for pain (he recommended Aleeve, which I know isn't the safest for bf, but I told him what the half-life of the drug was & when I could take it so that it did the least harm to Zora, but we both agreed that Tylenol was a safer...although less effective...choice).
Now, I am posting about this bc although I really liked my dr. (who actually doesn't want to cut on me & was all for natural healing), I thought it was strange that he pointed to bf as a possible sign of the ct. Does anyone know of a study that shows these results? He couldn't site any. I asked.
Also, and most irking to me...the response to my extended bf. First, it seemed he wanted to joke about it while pushing me to wean, which is the first stance that MOST medical professionals that I have run across take. "Ha, ha. You crunchy, hippie. Still nursing your kid. She's (He's) two or three! We Americans don't do that. I bet you do cloth diapers & practice Yoga, too." [You're friggin' right I do!] Then, I remind him or her that "breast is best...no timeline as to when to stop," they say, "Oh, yea, well, it is healthy. Great job."
If I weren't as stubborn and didn't believe in my choices as much as I do, I think it might shake me up or make me want to put Z (or L) on the road to wean as we drove home from the dr.'s office. But I know what I am doing what's right for us. And shame on dr.s for not patting a mom on the back who chooses to bf for longer than a year! BF can be tough stuff for us in the beginning (and all the way through for some), but it turns into such a blessing to be able to nurse that small one through sickness, huge life changes and into toddler-hood. I hope more moms feel strongly about their instincts. I never thought "I plan to nurse Langston 'til he's two and eight months." I just knew that I wanted to nurse him & gave it all I had. Then we both enjoyed that special time and bond and all the great things that go along with it...for as long as it felt right for me to do it. And we ended when we wanted to. Not when some dr or family member or friend tried to shame me into stopping (and I had all three at some point). But having been there & done that, I say...shame on you--whoever you are--for not supporting more breastfeeding moms. And rock on, nursing moms, go w what your mom-instincts are telling you.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I would be the "friend" that has shamed you. Good for you, but I didn't breastfeed either boy and they are very healthy (they hardly ever get sick now or when they were babies), we are certainly bonded (sometimes alittle too much) and they are as smart as any child that has been breastfed. Also, they have a strong connection with their father who would feed them in the middle of the night all the time.

I just think it is more the "parenting" that whether they drink from a bottle or breast.

Just my two cents--but you already knew my thoughts! I still congratulate you for following through on your beliefs and letting the doctor know your opinion. Everyone is different and yet, we can be friends!

J.

sonyagraykey said...

J, you aren't actually the one(s) I am thinking of in the "friend" category. And yes, "parenting" has the most to do w connecting to our small ones. I just wish that the medical profession would catch up w the times in their practice. And yes, I think we are very good friends, despite our MANY differences. :)

Singlemomma said...

BRAVO...medical professionals need to be much more encouraging and supportive of breastfeeding. When can breast be looked at as the norm instead of the exception? When can "extended nursing" just be called "nursing"? Extended....really? Breastfeeding an 18 month old in our house is considered pretty damn normal. To the original question, I've never specifically looked up carpal tunnel and breastfeeding, but I do have times that my wrists or joints in my hands have hurt more because of nursing but that has been during times of challenges. For example, getting Owen to stay latched on in the beginning was physically demanding on all of my body. My hands literally ached from holding him to my boob and my boob in his mouth and doing that for nearly 24 hours a day because his latch wasn't strong enough to stay there by himself.
The beauty of an older nursling is that they can walk up to you, climb on your lap, lift your shirt, and help themselves (I bet I just lost J right there! LOL) so I would imagine that doesn't put much stress on your wrists, but I'm no medical professional ;)

Nina Long said...

You go girl! I couldn't do it but I also had to go back to work. If I could have been a stay at home mom I would still be doing it! I really look up to you!! : )

The 6 W's said...

I have always thought BF should be a mutually agreed upon undertaking. I am a med prof and even a lactation consultant and have seen MANY women struggle with bf. It works for some and not others. As you know, there are many women out there that have medical conditions that do not allow them to bf and just like women who have to have sects, they should not be frowned upon by people who practice "Natural childbirth". Now, with that being said, if bf comes "naturally" or if you get through the many "hurdles" that come with exclusive bf then more power to you. MUCH research has proven that there is no significant benefit to bf beyond 6 mths. The cost of formula and ease of having readily available milk is pretty much the only benefits that remain. You do continue to pass on some immunity but no more than routine immunizations provide. That is where the bf until 2 yr comes in. This is really only practiced in third world countries where the mother's immunity is needed from breastmilk b/c vaccinations are most commonly not available.

I don't know if that really clears up why some HCP's think the way they do on bf but that is what is taught in schools these days. BF has always been a "trend" and right now it is "in" and I think that's wonderful. I had my daughter in Europe and EVERYONE bf but they also do not vaccinate everywhere like we do here in the U.S. so that may be another case.

As per the CT. Anytime you hold your arm in one position and put stress on those tendons/ligaments in a joint, it slows down the blood supply to the nerves and causes CT. It shouldn't make you quit bf b/c you'd have to deliver a bottle to a baby just the same;however, at 2 1/2 they should be able to feed themself so maybe that was where your doc was coming from. Who knows?? Do what works for BOTH : ) I think it's a blessing that you enjoy bf and so does your babies.

sonyagraykey said...

Nurse Welo :),
I have read MUCH that says there are benefits of nursing beyond six months. When I talk about the benefits of BF I am talking about everything from increased IQ to the strength of the baby's mouth (it takes more muscle to nurse from breast than bottle) to all kinds of other things that have been noted as "helpful." (Not the most important things in child rearing, I'll give you that for sure.) And no, I am not about to dis a mom who needs to bottle feed. I just want support from people who should be supportive. And I do think that bf is, to some extent, "trendy" at the moment, but I do NOT think that it is merely a "trend." I think it's more a part of what God gave us to produce healthy life. And the dr. was talking about "hormone levels" as the contributing factor to the cp, not the positioning of my hands or arms,or at least that's what he said.

Singlemomma said...

To 6 W's...can you post links to scientific research with findings that there are no benefits to nursing past 6 months? I'm interested in reading how the studies were conducted.

Anonymous said...

Pottymomma,

I can't count how many times I have seen Sonya's boob--more times than I wish! And yes, Z. does come up to her and ask and yes, that is the time that I throw up my hands and say "stop the madness"!

Seriously, I am not judging anyone--just hate when us non-breastfeeders get judged as well. Since I was a stay-at-home mom (well, not really, but I only worked part-time) when they were babies, I actually had other mommies say "Well, why aren't you breastfeeding then"? It goes both ways--believe it or not.

I agree with Nurse W--mommies get judged all the time by other mommies--it's sad. I am not judging Sonya, I just like picking on her because she is from Alabama!

J. (We miss you Potty)

Jesse said...

Great post, Sonya! Thanks for sharing and so sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I thought you would appreciate this WHO link that has a some beautiful pics of women around the world breastfeeding. http://www.who.int/features/factfiles/breastfeeding/facts/en/index.html

BTW, did the game get rained out today?

Singlemomma said...

J...I was totally teasing you ;) and I also have a children's book full of pics of older nurslings along with nice dialogue about "Isn't it nice how mommy can feed me from her breast!" that I'm sure you would LOOOOVEEEE to see too. Hahaha. I miss youguys tons!

Anonymous said...

I saw the boob again on Easter! I would love to see the book, Potty. Send it right away!

J.

Kellie Belue Jordan said...

Sonya! I have gone through and read your ENTIRE blog in the last week. I LOVE YOUR BLOG AND YOUR LITTLE FAMILY! Precious! what an interesting, fun, awesome life you are living. I think that you are so amazing for sticking to your true beliefs and standing up for what's up! love all the chemical free suggestions. We are a lot alike. My hubby and I are thinking of getting preggers. I am nervous because the money situation is not quite where i want it to be... i really want to be a sah, but i am afraid. any suggestions or thoughts?! love you girl! miss you!

Anonymous said...

This is SO funny!!!
I can't wait to see my breast feeding baby!!
MOM

Anonymous said...

This is SO funny!!
I can't wait to see my breast feeding baby!!
Mom

Leslie Sawyer said...

I totally agree with you! My little one is 18 months and I just had to stop him cold turkey a couple weeks ago cause I had surgery. I guess some people think I may be weird but I miss nursing him. We bonded so much! More power to you for hanging in there, I couldn't imagine not breastfeeding. Maybe we will have another one soon so I can do it all over again.YAY for bf moms!

Jessie said...

One of my favorite chiropractors became a chiropractor because of her own ordeal with carpal tunnel. She was nearly decapacitated by it at age 20, and was supposed to have surgery when a friend told her to at least TRY chiropractic first. She did, and it did wonders for her. No surgery. Now she uses her hands for work every day.

So, I'm going to be that friend. Find a good chiro. - preferably one who attended Palmer, and have them do some adjustments on your wrist. In the meantime, go easy on that wrist! Mine gets sore from bf too, and I try to use lots of pillows and supports nearby.

As for breastfeeding: If I was better at eating enough protein - and/or not getting pregnant while still bf, I think I'd be up for doing it longer! As it is, I barely get enough nutrients into myself, so I'm sticking with my 14mos. goal - which is still pretty good. But I think breast milk is SOOO wonderful, and I love that you do it for longer.

Hope the wrist gets feeling better soon!

Jess Rehearsal said...

Wow. This is a great blog entry. I never thought about the connection between bf and ct, but I have been having pain in my wrist on and off...feels as if it gets caught or twisted. I know it is related to bf, especially when I feed Elan in the night and do weird things with my body to feed her while lying down. I look forward to learning how you resolve the situation. And good for you for going against the grain in order to do what you feel is right for you and your family! :)