Saturday, January 9, 2010

spring *air* cleaning

this is a cute pic of Z at her English "baby class" on the eve of her 1st hand-foot-mouth fever & barfing. no direct link to the post below. She loves her baby class with her pals, Tomasz &
Franciszek (a.k.a. Thomas & Frank :)

Being in a bigger city and thinking of the air quality makes me think of the warning labels on cigs & that there should be a warning label on something as soon as you enter into the city: "Warning! Breathing air here will cause black mucus, rattles when coughing (with the cold you will catch this winter), possible lung infection, asthma & croup for the young..."
Which makes me think that I NEED to stock up on indoor air cleaning plants when we get back to Macomb. Our air quality there is pretty BAD to say the least. ( Here is what I plan to go by when purchasing my little purifiers...
the recommended plants can be found below. Note that all the plants in the list are easily available from your local nursery.

1. Philodendron scandens `oxycardium', heartleaf philodendron
2. Philodendron domesticum, elephant ear philodendron
3. Dracaena fragrans `Massangeana', cornstalk dracaena
4. Hedera helix, English ivy
5. Chlorophytum comosum, spider plant
6. Dracaena deremensis `Janet Craig', Janet Craig dracaena
7. Dracaena deremensis `Warneckii', Warneck dracaena
8. Ficus benjamina, weeping fig
9. Epipiremnum aureum, golden pothos
10. Spathiphyllum `Mauna Loa', peace lily
11. Philodendron selloum, selloum philodendron
12. Aglaonema modestum, Chinese evergreen
13. Chamaedorea sefritzii, bamboo or reed palm
14. Sansevieria trifasciata, snake plant
15. Dracaena marginata , red-edged dracaena

This is where the list came from. Looks like a pretty reliable source to me. And I like how it even recommends the number of plants (15) for the average size home (under 20K) as well as the size the container needs to be (at least 6"). I plan to have this list in hand as I head to our local nursery as soon as we get back home.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Air quality was a such a shock to us when we arrived in Hanoi. I don't think we breathed fresh air for the month we were there. Although, now I miss that Hanoi smell of cinnamon & small gas engine.

Your post reminded me I need to water our one house plant. Sven (our Norway Pine) thanks you!

Barclay said...

so when did the Y give you a raise?