Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Nain...or Naynee...

or Langston. My big fella used to call himself "Nain" (long A). His little sis calls him the same name. Too cute.


I can't believe he'll be going to "big boy" school this year. I will really miss that guy. I've already told him that I might cry & he told me, "It's okay, mom. I promise I'll come back!"
I could post a million things about how he's grown & matured this fall & winter, but I'll shorten the list for the grands & loved ones. :)
He sometimes says, "mom (or dad), I have a happy life." This, of course, makes our hearts full to bursting. Our kid is happy! Funny how that is contentment to a parent's ears. :)
He likes to help...most of the time. He "watches" Zora for a moment as I do something in another room. He lights matches for me to cook with (& I handle the match to flame part...don't worry!)
We have had the usual behavior issues that emerge with an emerging person, so recently we came up with what he calls his "point deck" (sports themed?). He has 10 categories to ace each day. Some of these are simple: be quiet while others sleep, get self dressed, pick up room at night...Some are more difficult: stay in seat & eat at mealtimes (story telling often begs dancing), behaving properly to friends & family (no raising voice, smarty pants talk...), using good manners (remembering those magic words).
He LOVEs to count his "points" at the end of each day. He usually does pretty well, but if he looses points, there are loses in other ways, too. He might loose computer time, i-pod time, or even *gasp* books. He hasn't lost books yet, but he has lost computer time & it hurt. Our little chart worked much better than even I hoped. I would recommend it for a kid around L's age. More points=more rewards. If his behavior has scored high for several days or a week, then we do a special thing (even if it's just a popcorn & movie night). He enjoys that it's his "good job" reward. I don't think we'll need the chart forever, but for now, it's helped. :)dad & L. at the aquarium...tons of scary snakes! they loved it. :)
Yet another daddy project...Langston & Barclay have been really enjoying putting together (& gluing) all kinds of puzzles (see Scooby above). They also have 3 legos car kits & Leanne got L. a pirate Legos kit that is really cool (it even has a functioning drawbridge! Their latest "models" have been these wooden kits of dragons & dinos that they got a market in Krakow. Pix coming soon!
***
Below is Langston posing with a statue of John Paul II, which reminds me that L has become the theologian-in-residence at our house. He's always been my thoughtful guy, but he really "gets it" when it comes to the God stuff. I now understand so much more of how scripture tells us to be like children. What Langston says comes directly from the heart. He feels loved & loves in return. So simple!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Loved the post! Langston is SO mature for his age. I enjoy his stories especially, Rocky stories!!!