Monday, December 14, 2009

made of milk



This post is dedicated to moms who breastfeed, extended breastfeed or even those who hope to bf someday. Zora has been so sickly for the past 8 days, beginning with tossing her cookies (ice cream & supper) a week ago today. Since then, she has only had a few bites of food (literally) & only sips of powerade, water & milk. I have tried every kind of non-acidic food one could imagine or buy in Poland, but she shakes her little head, waves her hand & declares, "don't wan eht!"
I have diagnosed her with Hand, Foot, Mouth & it ain't pretty. Her fever began last Tues & by Wed I noticed that her little gums looked inflamed. By Thurs, I noticed the first of many blisters in her little mouth & since then she has been miserable. She takes 2-4 baths a day (that's our girl! we love a soak around here!), watches way too much Sesame Street, whines & whimpers...and nurses. My cups runneth over once again as this big gal is nursing every couple of hours 24 hours a day. She's not a 8 lb baby anymore, so it takes more to fill her tummy. Plus, I think that the cuddle time is soothing. We hold her & carry her around anyway, but snuggling w mommy is always nice. And it's nice to know that this little chunk of mine will not dehydrate, but rather will be full & comforted by me. God creates some insanely wonderful things & I think that our ability as moms to provide life food for a baby until who knows when is one of those awesome things. Thanks to a wonderful, thoughtful God! I feel blessed to be able to provide so much through such a divine creation.

1 comment:

Jessie said...

I think breastfeeding gets better with each kid, too. You kind of realize it will end someday and that the baby time goes so quickly. Breastfeeding is so sweet and healthy and happy.
Man, you must have some serious calorie leniency these days! Every two hours?! Eli goes a good 10-hour stretch most nights, so I wake up pretty anxious to feed him.
Anyway - ah, nursing stories.