Sunday, August 9, 2009

Poland


I am sorry that I haven't done this post yet! Yes, we will be moving to Poland soon. Barclay won a Fulbright award. He will be teaching at a university in Kielce (which is a couple hours South of Warsaw). We have high hopes of traveling all over Europe while we're there (the kids may have other ideas).
We will leave Sept 10th & come back to Macomb around Feb 20ish. (I can't remember the exact date). But that will give us b't 5-6 months to live across the big water with the young 'uns. I'm sure it'll be tough in some ways (language, food, the fact that we will be sharing a kitchen & laundry room...with no dryer), but it will also be fun & interesting.
Please keep us in thoughts & prayers as we venture into all the prep for such a big trip. We have two possible renters for the house so far, since our renters who were "for sure" became "surely not" a couple of weeks ago. Also, we are mailing most of our winter clothes (since we only have one giant suitcase & hey, who wants to lug snowsuits & winter coats around airports anyway?). It's been crazy trying to wrack my brain for "all we'll need" for ourselves & the kids for about half a year (plus, the kids are both growing like crazy & I've gained & lost 35 lbs. over the course of the past year & a half....). But, as we've done lots of moving together (L's 1st b'day was in FL, 2nd in IA, 3rd &4th in IL...5th will be in Poland) & had lots of "adventures"...I'm sure we'll make it through with stories to share. :)
Barclay has been really good about posting & researching for this trip. For updates & all the info, see his blog: www.barclaykey.blogspot.com
Here is a little more detail as to where we'll be & when...
Now I'm off to sift through one last box of hand-me-downs & hope I find some size 5/6 khakis for L-town. The boy is skipping size 4 pants...or he could wear them & wait for the flood. ;)

6 comments:

Leigh said...

Wow! What an amazing opportunity! I am looking forward to reading your posts from Poland!

Jessie said...

Wow, POLAND.
Barclay is a Fulbright scholar? That's so awesome! Louie is VERY impressed (me too, of course).

No dryer???? What will you do all winter, freeze your clothes on a clothes line? Hee hee, no, it will work out fine.

L. is in 5/6 pants? Wow, I'm not even sure Cal's in those yet. I think he's still doing either 5T or the boys' XS which is like a 4 or something. Way to grow, Langston!

Good luck packing up. What an adventure!

Brian, Glenda, Oliver & Madelyn said...

I wish you an awesome experience!!! Did you know that Brian lived in Poland for one year???

The 6 W's said...

Aww!! We LOVED Poland!! It's a pretty hard country but you guys will have the best experience!! Let me know if you have any questions. One of my best friends is from there and I can hook y'all up. YAY!!!!! Congrats to your hubby!

alison said...

Yeah, life without a dryer was actually very freeing! Washing clothes is much different and more energy efficient.

Love your blog .. you'll do great in Poland. Never been to Eastern Europe, but we just came through central Italy -- so beautiful. I would love to seen Poland, Budapest, etc. Good luck with all the preparations!

Bekki said...

You are going to have soooo much fun!! :o)