Tuesday, November 2, 2010

What is a doula?

A doula is  someone who...
  • provides emotional and physical support for a woman during, and/or just after labor.
  • stays by the side of the woman during the entire labor.
  • assists the woman and her partner in carrying out their birth plan.
  • understands the physiology of birth 
  • understands the emotional needs of a woman in labor
  • facilitates communication between the laboring woman, her partner & the medical care providers.
  • perceives her role as one who nurtures & protects the woman's memory of her birth experience.   (I love them all, but I think this is my favorite.)
the above is taken (& slightly revised) from the DONA int. workshop I attended in September. 

Pictured: my doula, Tammy, assisting me as I labor with baby Zora.  My birth experience wouldn't have been the same without her.

1 comment:

Jessie said...

So, do you need some practice hours? I'd love to have you come out for my sister. She's due around Dec 10 and would totally be into the doula thing. But alas, her budget doesn't allow...

Anyway, I personally think you'd be the best doula!