Saturday, November 21, 2009

Langston-ology


One night after I nursed Z down & was praying with L, we started talking about what we prayed for or did that made us feel better when we were sad or nervous. He claimed that "singing a song...sometimes the ABCs or another song" made him feel better. Then he blew me away with some tiny man with an ancient soul theology...and although I'll put most of his words in quotes, I'm sure that I can't quote him exactly, which is a shame bc all those sweet, deep words coming out of that little mouth was something to behold. Here goes...
"Sometimes when I feel sad, I feel like the little piece of God in me...like inside my heart...like a liiiiitle light, gets a little bit broken. But then, I give my heart to God and he fixes it up again. Children can do this because their hearts are loose (I remember this phrase exactly), not like grown-ups. When you get grown-up, your heart gets bigger, but hard, too. It isn't loose like a child, so sometimes it cracks or breaks into pieces. It's better to give your heart to God before it breaks to pieces, but he can still fix it even if it's broken. So it's okay. I think everyone has a little piece of God in them. And it gets broken when we are sad or lonely or mad or nervous. So we need to give God our hearts all the time and he can keep fixing them."
Geeze! I felt my heart breaking into good pieces at the sound of all this! How beautiful and sweet is that understanding!? God resides in all of us. Children embody the 'tender heart' aspect of His love. When we are aching or fuming, let go and give our misery to God. I think the next time my fella begins to preach, I'll just record him so that I can listen again everytime I don't want to let go of anger or self-pity or anything else that wears down my spirit.
Langston is really something else. We've had conversations like this before & a few since then (even one last night as he clarified a few key points while I relayed this story to Barclay), but this one touched me so much. It also made me feel good about the kind of theology we discuss at home. We have had difficulty finding a home church in Macomb; not bc of people...if there is one thing we love about Macomb, it's the people. But we haven't found any one place where we felt enough connection with the theology to stay. So we've been home churching at home. Some weeks are more focused than others, but from what my little 4-year-old is preaching, it seems that our ideas have been absorbed, pondered and put into practice. My boy knows that God abides in him and from that draws peace, love and comfort. What more could one ask for?

4 comments:

Jessie said...

Wow, that is pretty profound coming from anyone, let alone such a little guy (though he's not your average little guy). It totally made me cry when I read it. Such good truth.
You guys are doing a lot of good in your home. Good job!

Anonymous said...

Wow Sonya! I think we all need to think like a child and not get all caught up in our adult stuff! I think God is talking through your little guy. I am going to email you we would like to send the kids a package.

Take care we miss you guys!
Stacy

Anonymous said...

Isaiah 11:6
The wolf will live with the lamb, the leopard will lie down with the goat, the calf and the lion and the yearling together; and a little child will lead them.


That's deep, coming from one so young. Good job Lil L.

Anonymous said...

Just beautiful post, it made me cry!
You always spoke with SO much wisdom and thought when you were young,too.
We hope you guys have a wonderful Thanksgiving in Poland with the other grandparents. Maybe, we can talk to L before his birthday. Email and tell me if he liked the laptop and movies we sent. OH, we are having computer problems at home ( the sunroom computer is down- Dave is ordering a part) so it may take a day to respond to you.